Simple Steps to Start Marketing Your Small Business | Follow These Marketing Steps | When is it Time to Bring in an Agency
Simple Steps to Start Marketing Your Small Business
Research, SEO, web design, brochures — these are all types of marketing. With several available options, it can be difficult to know where to start. And as a small business owner, you’re already handling a variety of different tasks. If you’re ready to start marketing your small business, but don't have the resources yet to invest in a marketing agency that can help your business grow, start with the tips below.
Follow the simple steps below to start marketing your business.
- Get organized: Create a strategy and move action items to a specific to-do list. Perfect your elevator pitch so that you can easily explain your business to anyone you meet within 1-2 minutes.
- Launch a website: When consumers are searching for a business, the first place they usually look is the Internet. Your website can prove to prospective customers that you’re a credible business. Your website should be utilized as your most important marketing tool, so make sure it speaks to what your business has to offer.
- Claim your Google My Business profile: Google offers a free tool called Google My Business (GMB) that you can use to proactively control what people read when your business comes up in the search results.
- Gather data: Code from both Google Analytics and Search Console can be added to your website to gather data including how many users visit your site, your best performing content, and more. This data can be used to help you develop your online marketing strategy, so make sure you are utilizing these tools.
- Implement search engine optimization (SEO): SEO involves the practice of increasing the quality and quantity of website traffic through organic search engine results. Remember that SEO is a long-term strategy, best for growing your business sustainably.
- Start an email marketing campaign: Email marketing can be a great place to start as it can be done well for a lower cost. Using a program like MailChimp will allow you to upload existing contact lists, add new contact lists, schedule sends, and customize email templates.
- Start paid campaigns: As mentioned above, SEO is a long-term strategy, which means that results can take some time. Implementing a paid campaign with Google AdWords or Bing can produce more immediate results.
- Get on social media: If you aren't currently using social media, there is a huge pool of potential customers you’re missing out on. Use your Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts to reach a larger audience quickly.
- Develop video: Video is one of the fastest-growing marketing channels today, and YouTube is the 2nd most popular search engine next to Google. Even if you don’t have a professional videographer on staff, you can use shoot video on your phone, which means there’s no excuse for you to not use this popular marketing tool!
When is it Time to Bring in an Agency?
Using the marketing tools above can help you grow your small business as you get started. Consider bringing on an agency to further your success when you’re ready to allocate at least 5% of your budget towards marketing. Keep in mind that hiring a marketing agency will allow you to focus more on running day-to-day tasks for your business, which will make your life easier and could save you time and money in the long run.
When you’re ready to elevate your marketing and invest in true digital marketing expertise, contact the team at ADVAN Design.
Digital Marketing vs. Traditional Marketing
Technology has changed the way businesses operate in our world today, and large businesses are not the only ones who can benefit. When small businesses get started, they are focused on getting customers. While traditional advertising has its place and can be effective, there’s an easier way. Small business owners should consider the pool of prospects available to them online.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
Let’s face it – we live in a digital world. Technology has made information more accessible, and users are searching online every day, multiple times a day. But why wait for a customer to find you on the internet when you could reach out and find them first? Digital marketing allows you to be found and to find your target customers.
Other benefits of digital marketing include:
- The ability to reach prospects globally
- Can be more cost-effective than traditional marketing
- The ability to interact with your prospects
- Provides measurable results
- Can increase revenue
- Improves brand reputation/recognition
Digital Marketing for Small Businesses
All businesses, no matter the size, can benefit from investing in digital marketing. Digital marketing can be done on just about any budget and is scalable as your business grows. Here are some reasons why digital marketing is crucial for small businesses:
- It can help you build lasting consumer relationships. – Digital marketing doesn’t stop at the checkout. It has the power to turn your customers into brand ambassadors. Build trust by using digital testimonials from happy customers, to build trust with prospective customers. Engaging with customers on social media can help them keep your brand in mind the next time they are searching for your products or services.
- It can help you compete with large businesses. – You don’t need expensive tools or huge budgets to achieve your growth or profit goals. Knowing your target audience will go a long way when it comes to digital marketing. And digital marketing aimed at those audiences can be more effective big marketing budgets.
- You can optimize your budget. – Digital marketing is more efficient than traditional marketing, due to its targeting capabilities. Instead of randomly distributing information, you are selectively targeting who hears your message. This allows you to optimize your budget and brings the added bonus of being trackable.
- Consumers can find you. – When your customers are looking for something, they’ll most likely start by searching on Google. If you don’t have a presence online, potential customers won’t be able to find your business and will most likely go to a competitor. Start with a Google My Business listing to allow your business to be found.
- It builds trust. – Have you ever searched for a company on the internet only to find that they don’t have a website? Just having an online presence makes businesses appear more trustworthy. And the best part is that any small business can take advantage of the opportunity to engage customers online.
What’s stopping you from implementing a digital marketing plan for your small business? Even if you have a smaller budget, the possibilities are endless. Start with something small, like building your Google My Business page, and you’ll see the impact that digital marketing could have on your business. Still have questions? Contact ADVAN’s digital marketing experts today to learn how you could start seeing amazing results.